Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Upcycling a laser pointer into a digital microscope

I recently found on Instructables.com, a way of making a microscope using a cell phone or an Ipod touch. I wanted to give a try myself, but wanted to make it "more portable" but maybe not so fancy.

The only thing you really need is a lens from a laser pointer, and magically, I had an old broken one that I kept for no reason..... until today.

I unscrew the tip of the laser pointer and here it is:
 At this stage, the only thing you need to do is to make a hole in a piece of plastic to hold this tiny lens:

You just have to put your cell phone on the top of it:


To focus properly, you can put the object on the tip of a bottle, like this and hold the box up and down to get the best picture:

And this is the results:

Wthout the lens:
With the lens, you get roughly 10X magnification if you campare the 2 pictures.


Hours of fun with my kids from now! Send me pictures if you have some.




No comments:

Post a Comment